Voices for Earth Justice (VEJ) Seeking New Executive Director
Tuesday, October 5 — Sunday, October 31
Position: Executive Director
Organization: Voices for Earth Justice (VEJ) is a Detroit-based nonprofit founded in 2002. VEJ is an interfaith network of people committed to deepening our sense of wonder, responsibility and gratitude for all creation. VEJ carries out its mission primarily in northwest Detroit through a demonstration garden that produces food for its neighbors and through a series of educational events. These have included community dinners and “wonder walks” throughout the City. Core values that guide VEJ’s work include climate and social justice and operating in a collaborative spirit with other organizations to build community. VEJ is looking for a candidate who has:
● The ability to work with a diverse group of people toward a shared goal
● A commitment to environmental justice
● A love of the interconnected web that is Creation
● The leadership, fundraising/development and managerial skills needed to turn vision into reality
● An awareness of social group identities and power dynamics including privilege and how privilege shows up
in commitment to self ‑transformation and systems operation.
● In concert with the Board develop strategies, programs and activities consistent with VEJ’s mission. This
includes developing fundraising strategies.
● Manage those programs to ensure success. This includes hiring and supervising staff, tracking program
benchmarks and ensuring all needed program and financial records are being maintained.
● Serve as the “face” of VEJ, representing the organization at community and interagency meetings ; cultivate
relationships with other neighborhood organizations and the wider environmental community.
● In concert with the Board develop an annual budget and ensure financial reporting systems are up to date.
● Work with the Board to ensure Board diversity and strengthen VEJ’s connections with the neighborhood.
In addition to the attributes listed above the successful candidate will have;
● Proven skills in relationship building, networking and organization collaboration.
● At least 5 years of experience working in and/or leading faith communities, environmental or advocacy
groups or other community benefit organizations.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a working knowledge of social media.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
Compensation and time: This is initially a half to three quarter time position that is intended to grow into a full time
one. Hours are flexible. Some weekend or night work is necessary. Initial compensation is in the $25,000- $40,000 range
commensurate with experience and the amount of time that is settled on. There is paid holiday and benefit time.
To apply: Send the following documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
● A cover letter specific to this job posting
● A current resume
● 3 references
● A writing sample, preferably from an organization related newsletter, fundraising appeal, or press release.
Note: This position is expected to begin in November 20, 2021