Building the Engine of Community Development in Detroit (BECDD) is a citywide process to strengthen all of our neighborhoods by building a coordinated, equitable system for community development work in Detroit.
What is BECDD?
Building the Engine is a process to build a…
Community Development System with many elements:
- System Governance & Coordination Element Equal partners working to keep the system accessible and effective for all neighborhoods.
- Capacity Building & Certification Element Effective, sustainable neighborhood‐based organizations supported by a collaborative group of intermediary/support organizations.
- System Capitalization Element Sustainable public and private resources for the entire system to thrive in our neighborhoods.
- Neighborhood Voice & Advocacy Element A citywide structure and process that articulates and advocates neighborhood priorities, focusing on equitable development.
- Data & Evaluation Element Measuring progress with “Neighborhood Vitality” success measures, with universal access to neighborhood data.
- Education & Career Pipeline Element An equitable pipeline of prepared, professional community development practitioners and strong resident leaders.
- City Engagement Element City government joining forces with neighborhood‐based organizations to institutionalize community development partnerships and generate city and state policy that supports vital neighborhoods.
- High‐capacity CDOs and strong GROs serving all neighborhoods.
- Powered‐up resident leaders.
- Collaborative foundations.
- Responsive city government partnering with neighborhoods.
- Effective intermediaries/support organizations.
- Relevant and supportive academia.
- Engaged human service institutions.
- Connected businesses.
Strong, Vital Neighborhoods Throughout the Whole City of Detroit